Thursday, June 16, 2016

Spring 2016: Breakdown of my Classes at USC

Hey all,

Remember that video from last semester in which I talk about all my classes? Well, here's the same thing, just for my spring semester! Except that you've probably noticed by now how awkward I am IRL and as much as I would love to make videos on YouTube, even if they're just for my blog, it's just not happening. Not right now at least. So instead of having to stare at my face for 20 entire minutes, I have everything down, the classic way, just how I used to!

My schedule for spring 2016


So far, I've been lucky to say that I've liked each and every one of my classes at USC and I've learned SO MUCH in them. Well, more in some than in others, but y'know, nothing is perfect. Interestingly (and slightly concerningly), none of my favorite classes were classes for my major, but then again all my major classes were more basic intro-type ones, so that may change. I hope it will. Anyway, without further ado (and not in any specific order):

CORE 112 | Thematic Option Honors Program: Writing Seminar II


Aka my favorite class at USC. This was basically the honors alternative to USC's upper-division writing requirement, in which we read contemporary literature (and watched films!), discussed it in class, and wrote papers on it. The class culminated in a 12-page seminar paper for which we did our own research, and wrote an annotated bibliography and literary review (I think?). Some of us were even selected to present one of our papers at the annual TO research conference (the theme this year was 'Something Must Be Done'). My class was called "Home Sweet Haunted Home" and dealt with the various definitions of haunting and home, which go way beyond ghosts and what people traditionally consider "haunted houses". My conference paper, for example, dealt with the presentation of cultural liminality as a source of unwantedness in the novel 'White is for Witching' by Helen Oyeyemi. And if that sounds too complicated, here's the published abstract of my paper:



Grade received: A

CTWR 412 | Introduction to Screenwriting

What was meant to be my favorite class this semester ended up being, sadly, my least favorite. As you might recall, I didn't end up getting into this class, as it was completely full by the time I could register, but a spot opened up during the first week of classes, and I quickly grabbed it. 412 is basically a workshop. You write a screenplay for every single class, have it read out loud in class, receive "suggestions" (i.e. criticism), and rewrite it for the next class, along with an entirely new screenplay. Now, I loved my professor, the legendary Jason E. Squire, I loved the people in my class, but I didn't love how I basically learnt nothing, except for the fact that short scripts are not for me. But I sort of knew that already. For someone mainly interested in TV writing and character development, 3-page scripts can be a hassle. In addition, grading is kind of arbitrary and doesn't really make sense. However, you need this class for the Screenwriting minor, it's two units, so you might as well just get it over with. Depending on the people in your class, you might even read some hilarious scripts -- I definitely did!

Grade received: A- (RIP 4.0 GPA, you will be forever missed)

CTCS 191 | Introduction to Television and Video

A class mainly about the TV industry. I learned a lot about advertising and net neutrality and syndication and a bunch of things I've already forgotten, as well as about the history of American television, from the network to the matrix era. I now know why ESPN is doomed. I also know why television is the new television. Summed up, it's an OK class and even if you're like me and not that interested in the business/industry side of things, you learn things that are good to know. Plus, you get to watch a bunch of awesome TV shows, like Mr. Robot and Freaks and Geeks (forever my love). Also, you get to do fun stuff for your project/research paper, like come up with a TV show pitch, or write about the absolutely terrible MTV adaptation of your favorite British TV series, like I did.

(My paper was titled "Controversy and Catastrophe: The Failure to Adapt E4's Skins for the US Audience" and if you ever want to read it, just let me know. Also, I included the quote “‘Oh, you’re American?’ ‘Yes, I am. Metaphorically.’” from Season 2, because I couldn't not.)


Grade received: A

CTCS 201 | History of International Cinema II

I added this class after dropping my not-so-great sound studies class, and I absolutely loved it. It's basically about international cinema after World War II, beginning with Italian Neorealism and ending with Hong Kong cinema, while also discussing concepts such as art cinema, pop art, Camp, post-modernism and auteur theory. A lot of people hated it, since it's essentially a history class with some film theory in it, but as I love history and art cinema and international films, I wasn't among the #haters. The films we watch are hit-or-miss, but mostly classics that film students just "need" to see, but I'm not gonna lie, some of them have made it on my top 10 list (that said -- should I write a list of my favorite films??). Also, I wrote a research paper on the intersection of Dutch national cinema and liminal spaces, and my TA told me to submit it to undergraduate conferences and I was on f!@#$&*g Cloud 9. Oh, the small moments of happiness in life! The midterm and final were irrationally difficult, though.

Grade Received: A

AMST 101 | Race and Class in Los Angeles

This was a General Education class that also fulfills my Forensics and Criminality minor lower-division requirement, and it sounded sort of interesting, so I decided to take it. And I was not disappointed. It wasn't really what I thought it would be, as it was essentially a history class, but honestly, I'd make this class mandatory for everyone at USC, or even everyone who lives in Los Angeles. I learned so, so, SO much about the society I live in and how it came to be and all the injustice the people of Southern California have faced, and it gave me an entirely new perspective on the region. I felt so engaged in this class -- despite the 100+ pages of reading and quizzes every week -- that I even considered changing my major to American Studies for a second. Yup, that's right. Tl;dr, the class can get boring and the professor is really long-winded, but I still felt that I learnt a lot and everyone should take AMST 101.

Grade Received: A

Those that didn't make the cut:

Here's the deal: dropping a class is OK. It happens. If you feel that it is irrationally difficult for you, that it's pointless, that you're not interested in it, that you can't contribute anything to it and you're not engaged, and if it's not necessary for your major or you can take a different version of it, then drop it. Drop it like it's hot.

My CORE 101 class, Symbols and Conceptual Systems: Aural Culture, was a class like that. I wasn't too keen on taking it in the first place, it sounded interesting but not that interesting, and I know that there were 101s more suitable for me. This wasn't a bad class, I have multiple friends who were in it and loved it, and I'm not saying it wasn't interesting, but I didn't understand a word of the readings and I felt like I couldn't contribute a word in discussion. So I dropped it. That simple.

I also dropped CTPR 409: Practicum in Television Production (aka the Trojan Vision class) so I could take Screenwriting. Not a big deal, since I was still working on a Trojan Vision show, and since I can take it anytime in the future and it's not necessary for my major/minors.

Oh, and while we're at it, I'm also dropping my second major, Narrative Studies, and doing the Screenwriting minor instead, along with my Forensics and Criminality minor. I felt like I needed to focus more on TV writing, which is what I eventually want to do, and although NARS has some cool literature classes, the requirements I had left for that major weren't particularly relevant to what I want to do. Now, I can focus on TV writing, continue my Russian classes, and even have place for some electives. I know that having two majors would seem more fancy than having two minors, but I'm not in college to hoard degrees. I'm here to (mostly) study what is relevant to what I want to do with my life, or what is more useful.

What the future holds:

Here are my classes for my first semester sophomore year:

CORE 101 | Symbols and Conceptual Systems: Icons (field trip to Disneyland, about how things become icons, apparently a great class but harsh grading)
CORE 103 | The Process of Change in Science: Searching for Life in the Universe: Mars and Beyond (Thematic Option science requirement, apparently AMAZING, field trip to NASA JPL)
CTCS 200 | History of International Cinema I (major requirement, lots of silent films, professor apparently terrible, already have nightmares about this class)
CTCS 464 | Film and/or Television Genres: Shot on Location (class for my major about the role of locations in cinema, or something like that)
LING 210 | Introduction to Linguistics (Quantitative Reasoning GE, taking Pass/No Pass)

No comments:

Post a Comment