Thursday, December 22, 2016

New York City: Day 2 (Fight On!)

Remember that time I could successfully get up early in the morning? Yeah, I don’t either. But it’s okay. The plan for today was to go to the Brooklyn Bridge Park, cross the Brooklyn Bridge, head to the Statue of Liberty, then meet up with my best friend/fellow USC Silk Rebecca. Seemed like a pretty solid itinerary, but then again, remember that time everything went according to plans? Yeah, I don’t either. After finally getting out of bed, I ran into a random old man in the apartment, who was notably not Manisha, and seemed equally surprised to see me. But I guess this is what you sign up for when you stay at a cheap AirBnB. After we did finally leave our apartment and get on the subway, something else very interesting happened: it began to snow. And then it went as follows:

Me: “This wasn’t supposed to happen. I repeat, this wasn’t supposed to happen. Maybe we should just go to a museum”
Joanna: *has never seen snow falling before, begins Snapchatting snow*
Me: “You know what, I don’t care. Let’s go to the Brooklyn Bridge Park. It wasn’t supposed to snow anyway. It must stop eventually. Because, like, this wasn't supposed to happen.”

The Manhattan Bridge, which is notably not the Brooklyn Bridge, feat. trash bag.
And so we did go to the Brooklyn Bridge Park, which happened to be eerily empty, took some photos, then went over to the other side of the bridge, took even more photos, and then just like that, casually photobombed a wedding. I'm not kidding. We were just minding our own business, taking pictures of the skyline and all that, when out of nowhere, the two ladies next to me began exchanging wedding vows. They even had an officiant and a wedding photographer and everything, but to be honest, I had just assumed that they were tourists, with the cameras and three layers of coats and everything. But anyway, we were just hanging out there, right behind them, in the one exact spot that was definitely visible in each photo. And then again, it went as follows:

Me *whispers*: “OMG, I think they’re getting married.”
Joanna: “OMG what”
Me: “OMG they’re getting married. Right now right here.
Joanna: “OMG let’s get out of here.”
Me: “OMG I think we just photobombed a wedding.”

Yeah. So that happened. But I mean, to be fair, it didn’t *look* like a wedding. And it’s not like anyone asked us to move. Anyway, we ended up watching them for a bit from the distance, and they all looked so happy that it made me happy. But then I’m also pretty sure that Nola broke up with Greer at that exact location in She’s Gotta Have It. But y’know, that’s just an observation.
The first of many skylines.

The least worst of a string of bad pictures that I made poor Joanna take.
So once we were done ruining people’s weddings, we I decided to cross the entire Brooklyn Bridge. Joanna wasn’t too crazy about the idea, because it was freezing cold and everything, but I was pretty relentless (mostly because of the photo opportunities; this is what Susan Sontag meant when she said traveling is now about collecting experiences to enjoy later). To make things worse, my map reading skills had hit an all time low, so we ended up taking the long way onto the bridge, but I mean hey, we did eventually make it! And the view of the Manhattan skyline was beautiful, and the bridge was beautiful, and in the meantime the sun came out and everything was perfect. Well, besides the cold. 



The one photo everyone has to take


my heart <3

After crossing the bridge, however, we decided that going to the Statue of Liberty would not be the smartest of ideas, so instead went up to the Empire State Building observation deck. Now, the first thing you need to know about me is that I love skyscrapers, skylines, and cityscapes in general. The second thing you need to know about me is that I love photography. So, despite the wind and the freezing cold, I ended up spening a good hour up there, walking around the deck, taking photos and fangirling over the view. Meanwhile, Joanna was sitting inside, probably adding this to the long list of poor choices I have made.







Again, LOL.



After being forced to leave making the smart decision of going inside, we headed back to Penn Station to meet Rebecca and her friend. The four of us then went to Macy’s to check out their window displays, then walked over to Hershey’s Chocolate Factory to get free candy, and then headed to M&M’s World, which made me want to like M&M's. We also went to Radio City and saw the Rockefeller tree again, and then checked out the Christmas market at Bryant Park. Also, Rebecca and I realized that we somehow always end up exploring cities together, whether it’s Chicago, Dallas, or New York, so there's a fun fact for you all. Rebecca also explained to me what happens when the ball drops at New Years Eve, which was very confusing to me before, and let me just say, I imagined something very, very different, which may or may not have been inspired by a certain Miley Cyrus music video. But yeah, we don’t need to talk about that.

When Macy's only decorates the bottom floor to lure you in 😒😒


That's definitely not a wrecking ball.




I feel like this is an odd combination of the Statue of Liberty and VJ Day in Times Square.


Rebecca & me feat. giant baubles.




Once Rebecca and Ginger left (sadness), we went back to the Empire State Building to look at the city in the dark. And once again, it was stunning and I never wanted to leave, so I spent yet another hour outside, staring at the city. Except, of course, it was even colder and winder than before, so I literally had to hold on to the rail so that the wind wouldn’t blow me away. It was worth it, though. I’m telling you, it was worth it.

The Chrysler Building, aka my favorite building of all times.





  
This view is what I essentially live for.
After that, though, we were pretty much dying from the cold, so we headed home and went to sleep.

Click here for day three.

No comments:

Post a Comment