Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Winter in California

Summary of my winter break: Waking up at noon. Eating cereal without milk. Assuming the Internet browsing position. Watching Vlogmas videos and living vicariously through them. Noticing that it's 7 PM already. Eating a Babybel. Watching a bad movie, because good movies make me feel too many things. Crying anyway, because feelings. Also, (500) Days of Summer was just too soon. Not writing my RA application. Attempting and failing to take care of my friend's basil tree. Going to sleep at 2 AM. Repeating all of this the next day.

Of course, there were exceptions. I went to Target once. I went to get food a couple of times, though that was only after my trip to San Diego (more on that later) and me realizing that I sorta need to eat, and not just live on corn flakes without milk. I also went to The Grove to get into the Christmas mood on the 23rd, that was sorta nice, and you can see some photos of that here:










My roommate invited me to spend the 24th with her family, and since she is the best and I really didn't want to spend Christmas Eve alone in my dorm room, and also since it seemed like a good idea, I of course said yes. And it was a good decision, except that there were some minor problems. 

See, after The Grove, I didn't go to sleep. I spent the entire night Skyping my family, watching them decorate the Christmas tree, watching them eat their Christmas dinner, watching all the food and then looking at my empty fridge, singing Christmas carols with them, and then repeating the same thing with my dad's family. Just after my dad lit the sparklers on the Christmas tree and we sang one full song before my Internet started lagging, however, my roommate texted me that they were on their way.

And I was tired AF. So tired that I even fell asleep at one point during the day. As on the party, the whole thing was pretty informal. We were eating on paper plates with plastic forks and playing Apples to Apples all day, which is, well, quite unlike what we do with my family, because you all know my family. We wear fancy dresses and high-heels and usually spend 15 minutes driving around in circles before arriving at my uncle's house not to disturb the meticulously planned order of arrival, we all drink expensive champagne while standing upright in the middle of the room and eat using such a wide range of silverware that I'm always afraid that the spoon I'm using to eat my soup with is in fact some obscure fish knife. But I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, of course, this is what I'm used to, and this is what I love. That said, I really loved how laid back everything was at Joanna's. Except that everybody was speaking Spanish and although I mostly understood what they were saying to me, there was no way I could reply. There are only three things I can say in Spanish, and I am pretty sure "I am a girl","I am pregnant" and "rice" weren't answers to the questions they were asking me. Yep. Apart from that, I also started randomly crying on two separate occasions  because although Joanna and her boyfriend were adorable together and I'm so happy for them, they kept reminding me of how f@#$%!&g heartbroken I was am, and since we all know how I emotional I am, it was given that there were gonna be tears. Oh well. Just a piece of advice here: your failed relationship is not something you want to be reminded of on Christmas Eve.

After Christmas Eve, I came back to my dorm and returned to my winter break shenanigans, preparing for the long awaited Bowl Game, which brings us to the third part of this post. USC was headed to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego this year, and of course, as a band member, I got to go as well. Now, you all know that I'm not the hugest football fan, so what I was looking forward to the most was 1) going to Disneyland before San Diego 2) getting to see San Diego and 3) getting to see *somebody* again. As it is, of course, none of these three things worked out, as 1) Disneyland was replaced by a Star Wars screening 2) apart from some sketchy streets and a harbor (?) with obnoxious seagulls, I barely saw any of San Diego and 3) I talked about one minute with said person.  Also, we had to perform in the rain, and spinning soaking wet flags is not fun, I had to sleep on the floor for two nights as, well, how do I put this, people did stuff in my bed, had coffee spilt on my uniform, and had the band director yell at us, as he decided to change the entire pre-game show last minute. But yeah, Dr. Bartner, blame it on the Silks... And on top of all that, we lost the game.

That said, there were some better moments. The view from our hotel was gorgeous, I had an amazing time with some of the Silks, I had decent food at Tender Greens after eating corn flakes for weeks, and had a privilege of witnessing a conversation in which our sketchy waiter asked my Chinese-German friend if she's Mexican, and then proceeded to talk to us in French. Also, the Wisconsin band was kinda cool and we almost hung out with them. The best part, though, was when we got to perform at the Holiday Bowl parade! It was just 28 minutes of smiling and doing cadence and spinning Tribute to Troy and people admiring us. You can see that below or on YouTube here, and you can even see me mess up walking at 1:40, because I suck. 


The parade.


The one picture I took in San Diego, from our hotel room.

And that is it really. Classes start next Monday. I have submitted my RA application. The dental students are back on campus (the greatest enemies of all SCA people), the dining halls are opening on Thursday (I actually miss dining hall food), and my roommate plans on coming back soon as well. I'll spend the rest of my break ice skating in Santa Monica, seeing Patti Smith on Saturday, freaking out about how my friend will react to seeing her plant again (I mean, at least it's still alive...) and probably crying. 

--

PS. This is sorta badly written. Sorry about that. It's 3 AM.




No comments:

Post a Comment