Monday, February 06, 2017

Things I've Been Loving in...January

In an attempt to be more consistent with my blog posts, I've started a series that is essentially a blogging classic: Monthly Favorites. I know, I know, what happened to my creativity, right? Well, it's currently being channeled into student films in my production class, if you really want to know, but hey, you can't tell me that these kind of posts are not fun! I mean, you sure can, but then I'll just suggest we agree to disagree.

1) We Are All Stardust by Stefan Klein


This is a collection of interviews by German science journalist Stefan Klein, who asks the world's most influential scientists big questions about the nature of the world and humanity. And no, it is not boring. It makes you think and reconsider what you already know, it makes you challenge your perspectives in a way that some may even deem controversial. You don't have to agree with it, of course. But if it makes you think, that's already an achievement. And don't be deterred by the fact that it's scientists speaking. While this may not be a book you get through in one sitting, it's definitely comprehensible to all.


2) The New York Times: The Year of Conquering Negative Thinking 
"The first step to stopping negative thoughts is a surprising one. Don’t try to stop them. [...] Worry and obsession get worse when you try to control your thoughts. Instead, notice that you are in a negative cycle and own it. [...] By acknowledging your negative cycle and accepting it, you are on your way to taming your negative thoughts."
About a year ago, I wrote an entry in my diary about being "a happy mess." I went on for pages about how I tell myself that I'm happy so I must be happy, only to come to the conclusion that I am "ultimately a very unhappy person." And then, last year, I had a somewhat similar conversation with a former friend about me being too negative, leading up to this post. Eventually, I had to come to the conclusion that trying to convince myself that I'm happy just doesn't work, and BS like "happiness is a choice" is what it is -- BS. What you can really do, however, is acknowledge that you're unhappy, get to the core of the problem, and try making adjustments from there. And none of those adjustments include denying your feelings or thoughts, whether they are negative or positive.

I just really fell in love with this photo.

3) The Rose Bowl

If for some reason you haven't read my phenomenal blog post on the Rose Bowl yet, you can do so here. I promise you, it wasn't as depressing as yesterday's Super Bowl (Truer words than "the Falcons won the popular vote" have never been said.) But yeah, the Rose Bowl, the longest day of my life, the best day in recent USC football history, the best football game I've personally attended, and also the day it became conclusive that I shouldn't be a movie star because cameras hate me. 

4) Baby Carrots

A bowl of lies.
Or baby cut carrots, more like, because what most people tend to think are carrots that owe their miniature size to their youth are in fact full-grown adult carrots that were cut down to look small and cute (#lieslieslies). Of course, there are real baby carrots, but they look like this and I doubt that you are eating them.

So, now that we have all that cleared up, here's the deal: they're healthy, they taste good, and they're ideal for snacking. Honestly, what else could you ask for?



5) Michael Kors Arabella Ankle Boots

You know that feeling when you walk into Macy's for a pair of black jeans and then walk out with the jeans and a pair of $250 boots? Yeah, I don't either, because fortunately there was not enough money on my debit card for that, but I couldn't get these beauties out of my head and spent the next month fantasizing about them and returning to Macy's in New York just to look at them. (no judging plz)


And then a miracle happened and they went on sale and I was on a hunt for ankle boots anyway and since I honestly couldn't get them out of my head, which I take as a sign usually, I went ahead and bought them. Unfortunately it was an online sale and I messed up the sizes a little bit, but you probably know me by now, so I used my special powers to shrink the size of my feet and now they're perfect. Well, maybe not. Point is, I don't know how it happened, but now they fit. Yay. End of story.

See y'all next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment